Companies with Japan make up more than a third of the list as the shape and pace of global innovation continue to change east
LONDON, February 23, 2022 / PRNewswire / – Clarivate Plc (NYSE: CLVT), a world leader in providing trusted information and understanding to accelerate innovation, today released a list of the top 100 global innovators ™ 2022. Based on Clarivate ™ data, the annual list identifies organizations that demonstrate consistent innovation excellence above all and are at the top of the global innovation ecosystem.
As global patterns of ideas and ways of measuring them change, so does the top 100 innovators in the world. This year, more than half (54) of the world’s top 100 innovators of 2022 come from Asia, which indicates the growing dominance of the region in the global innovation arena. The presence of most Asian companies in this year’s list is due Japanwhich boasts 35 of the world’s top 100 innovators. Taiwan reaches nine, mainland China and South Korea five organizations are listed in each.
Asia Dominance is even more pronounced in the electronics and computing sector, the largest industry in this year’s list of the top 100, as 26 of the 28 companies out of the top 100 come from the region. As a result of accelerating technological development efforts in the mobility sector, the number of car companies included this year has risen to 12, making the sector the second largest contributor to the list.
Top 100 sshooting
The main results of 2022 show:
- The top 100 global innovators of 2022 come from 12 countries and regions. Japan tops the list of the world’s top 100 innovators (35), followed by USA (18), Taiwan and Germany (nine each), France (eight) and mainland China and South Korea (five each).
- In 2021, the number of car companies is projected to double (from six in 2021 to 12 this year), including General Motors and Hyundai. Innovators to look at reports1 in 2020 and 2021. Ford, Volkswagen and Kia Motors are also involved in an 11-time entry into the world’s top 100 innovators Honda and Toyota.
- 100% increase in the number of aerospace and defense companies with the addition of Rolls-Royce and the return of Safran and Airbus, all European firms.
- The growing popularity of electronics manufacturers and semiconductor companies based in Taiwan; Innovators watch AU Optronics, Delta Electronics and Wistron; returned Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) and MediaTek; and the first recognition of Realtek Semiconductors.
- For the first time, participants are mainland China’s e-commerce company Alibaba, another 2021 pioneer to watch, as well as branch and digital payments giant Ant Group.
- This year, the list includes three national state-funded research organizations – the Research Institute of Industrial Technology (ITRI). Taiwan as well as the Commission on Alternative Energy and Atomic Energy (CEA) and the National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS), both in France.
Gordon SamsonClarivate Product Director said: “Today, global inventive activity is much higher, more diverse and more complex than ten years ago, when we first launched the world’s top 100 innovators. The top 20 global innovators of 2022 are an example of excellence in innovation. We congratulate the 100 best companies this year. They demonstrate opportunities, consistency and creativity that create new value and ingenuity for the world. “
The direction of innovation is ahead
Using existing trends derived from the measurements and indicators of the world’s top 100 innovators of 2022 to look into the future, the next four years are likely to see a significant acceleration in the pace of global innovation. Almost a third of all patented inventions could be published during this period.2 This broader pool of innovative thinking is likely to come from companies in the telecommunications and industrial systems segments and then in the automotive industry.
View the top 1000
Expanding our understanding to the top 1,000 actors, we see the results of countries, regions and industries:
- Evidence of the power and scale of innovation is seen in major conglomerates such as GE, LG, Hitachi and Siemens.
- European innovators on average occupy the highest place in the TOP-1000.
- Academic research-oriented individuals carry out large-scale developments but rely on industry to commercialize inventions.
Samson summed up: “Today, innovators need technology and data to help them better understand the ecosystem and its impact so that they can thrive in today’s fast-paced world of innovation. Our constant goal at Clarivate is to give innovators guidance and clarity, big and small, everywhere We thank them for their tireless efforts in advancing the frontier of knowledge and in making the world a better place for all. “
Learn more about the top 100 global innovators of 2022 and who’s on this year’s list here.
Every year since 2012, Clarivate recognizes the world’s innovators through the “100 Best Global Innovators” program. The model of calculating excellence of the world’s 100 best innovators uses a mathematical basis based on comparison. The methodology was updated in 2022, when the new model of measuring innovation focuses on stable high performance and scale of innovation, where all ideas compete equally. The report analyzes data from the Derwent World Patents Index D (DWPI і) and the Derwent Patents Citation Index ™. For full information on the methodology used to determine the 2022 list, see here.
Clarivate ™ is a world leader in providing solutions to accelerate the lifecycle of innovation. Our bold mission is to help customers solve some of the world’s most complex problems by providing actionable information and insights that cut time from new ideas to life-changing inventions in science and intellectual property. We help clients discover, protect and commercialize their inventions using our robust subscription and technology solutions combined with deep expertise in the field. For more information, visit clarivate.com.
Contact the media
Rebecca Krachenbühlexternal relations manager
1 The Innovators to Watch report examines organizations that have improved their rankings over time and are progressing in a way that could put them on track to be included in the top 100 in the future.
2 These calculations exclude utility models (patents with shorter validity, focused on simpler technologies).
SOURCE Clarivate Plc